Home of the World’s Largest M, an attraction you are encouraged to climb to take in the tri-state view, Platteville offers many options for outdoor recreation. From our 18-hole golf course to two separate disc golf courses, as well as a skateboard park, aquatic center, miles of both paved and dirt non-motorized trails and an ATV route, we have something for everyone. In winter we feature snowmobile trails and ice skating. Check out all we have to offer!
Outdoor Recreation Directory
Amenities: Fountain, Memorial, Picnic Tables, Shelter
City Park is located in front of the Platteville Municipal Building just off of Main St. in downtown Platteville. This park was originally laid out as a public square nearly 160 years ago. As a green space to Platteville’s central business district, it is a showcase facility for the city and offers visitors, nearby business employees, and elderly residents with a centralized location for picnics, passive recreation, entertainment opportunities, such as the summer band series, and simple relaxation. The annual summer arts festival is also held here. The park has many shade trees and is attractively landscaped. It also contains a covered bandstand, four park benches, three Victorian-type benches, four picnic tables, a drinking fountain and a small war memorial. Recent additions include a Grant County Sheriff Memorial Plaque and a historical marker commemorating Platteville’s Commercial District entry on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1991, the City of Platteville in collaboration with the University of Wisconsin-Extension completed a downtown revitalization study that called for the redevelopment of the City Park. In 2003 the non-profit organization used a brick fund to purchase and install a fountain in the center of the park near the war memorial. In 2012, the Platteville Chamber of Commerce, City of Platteville, and local veteran’s unveiled the Veteran’s Memorial in the park, consisting of seven statues, each depicting a different war.
Amenities: Picnic Tables, Playground, Restroom, Sand Volleyball, Shelter, Soccer Field
The land for the park was purchased by the City of Platteville in 1968. Originally referred to as J.C.'s or Jaycee’s Park, by the mid-70s the park was officially named Harrison Park.
Harrison Park features a shelter, restrooms, playground, sand volleyball courts, and soccer field. On June 16, 2014 a tornado passed though Harrison Park destroying a number of trees. Afterwards the City applied for and was awarded a Catastrophic Storm Grant from the Department of Natural Resources. Using this grant the City has replanted with a broad diversity of trees including: Red Oak, Bur Oak, Swamp White Oak, American Basswood, Kentucky Coffeetree, White Spruce, River Birch, Hackberry, Black Walnut, Blue Beech, and Serviceberry.
Amenities: Basketball Courts, Picnic Tables, Playground, Shelter
Highland Park is located off of Stevens Ave between N Water St and Lutheran St.
Purchased in 1964 and 1965, Highland Park is nestled between residential homes, serving as a social and recreational focal points for the neighborhood.
Amenities: Memorial, Picnic Tables, grills
The land was originally owned by John H. Rountree. In 1848, it was deeded to the trustees of the German Presbyterian Church for use as a public burial ground. In 1917, it was given to the City and the cemetery was deemed vacated by the state. In that notice, it was asserted that "all but a very few of the remains had been removed". In 1918, the land was plotted as Cemetery Park, but on March 8, 1918 the Common Council designated it as Rountree Park. The next month, a committee was formed to move any additional remains to Greenwood Cemetery. In the following years, this dedicated name seems to have been forgotten. In 1928 the lot was plotted as "North Park." In 1938 a newspaper article from The Fennimore Times referred to the lot as "Children's Park". Then in 1959 the lot was referred to in Common Council meeting notes as "Fourth Street Park (also known as North Park and Indian Park)." The name Indian Park seems to have stuck as many current residents remember the park always being referred to by that name. Per the Wisconsin Historical Society, "local legend states that a Native American is buried in the middle of the parcel, thence the name of the park," but no documentation has been found to verify this claim.
Today, Indian Park appears much the same as it was drawn in the plot from 1928. It is lightly developed with sidewalks, grills, and picnic tables as the only amenities.
Amenities: Picnic Tables, Shelter
Jenor Park was developed in 1983 with assistance from a Community Development Block Grant. The park is near downtown and serves as an oasis in the Central Business District. Currently, the park is used heavily by residents of Jenor Tower, a neighboring apartment complex. The adjoining property of 160 E Mineral Street is also owned by the City and is currently being used as a community garden.
Katie’s Garden, located next to the Platteville Regional Chamber and Wisconsin Welcome Center (275 Business Highway 151 West, Platteville, WI 53818), has had dozens of volunteers donate their time and talents to make this one of the most beautiful places on earth! This garden is full of color all season long and has benches, tables, picnic areas, and walking paths throughout. The focal point is a beautiful gazebo where one can sit and enjoy the beauty of the gardens. It has become a destination for weddings, wedding receptions, garden parties, and picnics. Countless photographers enjoy the beauty of the garden during all four seasons. New gardens are constantly being added to enhance the beauty and tranquility.
Katie’s Garden is the anchor to the Platteville Community Arboretum and Rountree Gardens project that encompasses areas along the Rountree Branch Trail. The trail, which meanders along the Rountree Branch stream through the Platteville community, is a picturesque, quiet hiking and biking trail that is becoming a focal point of the community. As the Chamber and Welcome Center are located along the trail, the creation of Katie’s Garden is only the beginning of a truly wonderful experience for our visitors and community alike. A visit to Katie’s Garden is a must!
Amenities: Bike Trail, Paved Trail, Wilderness Trail
Knoll Wood Park is a remnant of an Oak Savanna. Much of the park can be accessed via a trail system which includes both wilderness and paved trails open to bike and pedestrian traffic. Parking and restroom facilities are provided at the nearby Platteville Regional Chamber.
Amenities: Baseball / Softball Fields, Concession Stand, Horseshoes, Ice Skating, Picnic Tables, Playground, Restroom, Shelter, Soccer Fields, Pickleball Courts
Plotted as Driving Park on a city map from 1895, the more widely known historic name for the property is Big Badger Fairgrounds. From 1910 through sometime after World War II, the property was the host of the Big Badger Fair. In 1959 the Platteville Fair Association sold the land to the City of Platteville exclusively for public, recreational, or education purposes. Today the park is the primary sports complex for the community and includes soccer fields, pickleball courts, horseshoe courts, plus ball diamonds, batting cages, and hitting stations
Amenities: Bike Trail, Campground, Dog Park, Paved Trail, Picnic Tables, Playground, Restroom, Shelter, Shower, Wilderness Trail
Approximately half of Mound View Park remains natural vegetation and woodland that serves an attractive greenway for the city. A section of the Rountree Branch flows through the natural area. Additionally, a section of the park was once a part of the Homestead Mine. Information about local mining history is available at the nearby Mining Museum.
Much of the park can be accessed via a trail system which includes both wilderness and paved trails open to bike and pedestrian traffic. On leash pets are permitted in the park, trails and campground.
One of the most popular amenities in Mound View Park is an 15-site campground. All sites are available for both tents and RVs with water and electric hookups. Restroom and shower facilities are also available onsite.
Amenities: Concession Stand, Picnic Tables, Restroom, Shelter, Shower, Swimming Pool
In 1934 the City purchased the land for the aquatic center for the price of one dollar from Dr. and Mrs. Wilson-Cunningham. The original facility was constructed the same year. The facility was most recently updated in 1996 with a bathhouse, concession stand, zero-depth entry, 40-foot slide, competitive pool, and diving boards. The facility also features a 900 square foot sandbox called “The Big Dig”. In 2018, the new Tot slide was added to the pool.
Phone Number(608) 348-4653
A beautiful public 18-hole golf course located on Northside of Platteville off of Hwy 80. The club has a driving range and restaurant/banquet area. The Platteville Golf Course is a public course laid out in the rolling hillsides of beautiful Southwest Wisconsin. The course is challenging, yet a fun-to-play course that offers some of the best greens in the area. The greens are all small, quick and many will punish you if you hit above the hole.
This playground is built for YOU.” Many of us know that a traditional playground was not built with the intention to exclude anyone, however, our goal is to build a playground that is intentionally designed to include EVERYONE. Disability is the number one minority community in the United States. With this playground, we can ensure a space that takes the worry and fear of judgment, safety concerns and lack of accessibility away. It can instead foster an environment of inclusiveness and socialization for everyone, allowing for more innocent play and laughter in our culture today. Imagine all children being able to play with all of their friends, regardless of their mobility or sensory need. The Platteville Inclusive Playground is a space where we can all meet together.
Named after W.T. Sherman Post No. 66, Grand Army of the Republic, Sherman Park is a small triangular piece of land surrounded by three streets. In 1961 a monument and artillery shell used in the Siege of Vicksburg was moved from the Old Capitol Site to Sherman Park. The plaque on the monument read: "Shell shot at Vicksburg July, 1863. Recovered from Mississippi River August, 1920 by J.P. Love, Aurora, Ill. Dedicated by W.T. Sherman Post No. 66. G.A.R. 1924." At some point the original shell from this monument went missing. Oral history indicates that the shell was replaced with a bowling ball for a number of years followed by a number of years with no adornment. After consultation with the State Historical Society and American Legion it was decided that the monument should be removed with the plaque being donated to The Mining & Rollo Jamison Museums in 2020.
Amenities: Bike Trail, Skate Park
Work towards a skate park began when a student’s letter was published in the Platteville Journal on July 11, 2000. This letter sparked a conversation that left the “ownership of the process” in the hands of the skaters and bikers. This ownership included choosing possible locations, design, and fund-raising. This original fund-raising effort helped to pay for the 6,000 ft2 multi-level cement pad. Since it’s construction a number of pieces have been donated to the park.
Amenities: Basketball Courts, workout equipment, walking path, shelter, bathroom, inclusive playground, picnic tables
Smith Park is the City's oldest parkland. The land was originally owned by John H. Rountree and was sold by his heirs to the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1891. During this period, the land was known as the Chautauqua Grounds, though many referred to it simply as The Campground. As a part of the Chautauqua adult education movement of the late 19th century, the grounds were host to preachers, speakers, musicians, and other entertainers, with many programs taking place in the onsite Tabernacle. Crowds gathering for the programs would camp in tents or onsite sleeping cottages. The church sold a portion of the property to the City in 1894, and the entire parcel became public land in 1943. The park was renamed W.N. Smith Memorial Park after the president of the Vinegar Hill Mining Company. Mr. Smith was regarded as Platteville's first millionaire.
Today, Smith Park is most well-known for its mature oak trees, which provide natural shade for the park's other amenities, which include: a paved walking path, playgrounds, basketball courts, sand volleyball court, and outdoor shelter buildings with restroom facilities. The shelters can be reserved and are used frequently by family gatherings in temperate months.
Amenities: Bike Trail, Dog Park, Picnic Tables, Wilderness Trail, Fitness Equipment
Located along the Rountree Branch, the land for the Swiss Valley Dog Park was donated to the City in 2003 by Swiss Valley Farms / Old Wisconsin Cheese. The dog area was added in 2007, when the Platteville Community Arboretum raised funds to install a fence around a section of the park. Today there are separate spaces for large dogs, small dogs, and dogs in training. Other amenities include a covered shelter, picnic tables, waste disposal stations, and water hydrants. For those without canine companionship, the park also features an outdoor fitness center and convenient access to the David Canny Rountree Branch Trail.
Amenities: Picnic Tables, Playground, Restroom, Shelter
The area of Valley View Park was donated to Platteville in 1908. The area was expanded in 1939, 1940, and 1963. Along with a shelter and restroom facility the park features a playground.
Amenities: Disc Golf, Picnic Tables, Tennis Court
Westview Park is adjacent to Westview Elementary School. The park was created when the City exchanged Cunningham Park to the school district for the construction of the current high school. The main features of the Westview Park are a 9-hole disc golf course and lighted tennis courts / pickleball courts.